Common Mistakes People Make While Buying Furniture
There’s no better feeling than sinking into a soft armchair after a tiring day at work or taking a cat nap on the couch on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but neither of these would be possible if the furniture you have is uncomfortable. Buying furniture isn’t a routine task and requires a significant investment of finances and time for research, because buying the wrong furniture or low-quality pieces will not only be a waste of time but also of money.
By purchasing the right furniture you can add to your home’s aesthetic appeal, but all too often clients rush through the furniture buying process. They either end up with pieces they aren’t happy with or in some cases have to return them because they’re too big to enter the house.
These mistakes can be both costly and frustrating. At ViVi Upholstery, we want to help you enjoy not just your furniture buying experience but using the furniture for an extended period of time. To ensure you can do so, we have compiled a list of common mistakes to avoid while buying furniture.
1. Giving the wrong measurements. Either due to negligence or lack of knowledge of measurements, clients often provide incorrect dimension details to the manufacturer. These incorrect details yield an undesired product that is not feasible for their space. In addition, once the furniture is designed, it’s impossible for the manufacturer to alter its dimensions.
2. Neglecting the size of elevator and dimensions of the doorways. If the furniture is being transported to your home, ensure that the manufacturer is made aware the width of the elevators, stairwell, and doorways. If a piece of furniture is wider than the entrance to your home or the elevator, it will be better to assemble it inside the house rather than transported to your home.
3. Not considering the scale. Having large pieces of furniture may make your home look congested. It’s essential to analyze the available space of a house first and only then decide on the size of the furniture. For example, a dining chair may look great at showroom but might be too big for your dining room.
4. Picking looks over functionality. While it’s human tendency to be attracted to a beautiful design, when it comes to furniture, always pick comfort and functionality over looks. What’s the point of having the most artistic and beautiful chair, armchair, or sofa if it’s too uncomfortable to sit on?
5. Not checking with the manufacturer regarding fabric yardage. Unless you have adequate knowledge of how much fabric and what kind of material you require for your furniture, it’s ill-advised to go out and purchase it by yourself. Discuss your requirements with your manufacturer so that you know how much fabric is required and where are the best places to get it from. This will prevent you from purchasing too much material or overpaying for it.
6. Using online sites for furniture purchase. The convenience of online shopping is unmatched, but by shopping for furniture online, you deprive yourself of the ability to feel the texture of the upholstery, the comfort levels it provides or even test drawers on a dresser. Unless you like these aspects to be a surprise or are sure that there’s a free return policy, using online sites for furniture purchase is a bad idea.
If you’re looking to avoid similar mistakes and get the best custom furniture and upholstery in North York, Toronto, ON, reach out to the experts at ViVi Upholstery. With over forty years of experience in the furniture manufacturing industry, we offer the best residential and hospitality upholstery in the market. With our customized furniture, we ensure a precise, elegant and durable product that is unique in design and suits any lifestyle.
For a complete list of our services, please click here. If you have any questions about ViVi Upholstery, we’d love to hear from you. Please contact us here.